Wednesday, December 12, 2007

zzzzzzzz

There is snooziness in the air. I wish I could say it was because of the weather, but it isn't. Because the weather blows right now. It's all icky and muggy and humid and wretched. It's so sad. It's supposed to be all cool and crisp and junk this time of the year. I feel so cheated.

I listen to the radio online everyday at work. Right now the morning show is doing this thing called Drive-by Dating. They pick some random guy and stand him out on a street corner. Women drive by and call into the station and try to convince the radio people that they should be picked.

It seems so desperate on every level.

Which funnily enough (yes it's a word cause I said so) makes me think about people online. Cuppy had an entry in her blog the other day (this means you should go click on her name and look at the entry) about some dude from Rhode Island making stupid comments about online games and predators and freaks and junk.

Some general nonsense about how MMO's are more dangerous than stuff like Myspace and Facebook (both of which I vehemently boycott). Why? Because you're forced to be anon and make up a character. Riiiiiiight. Cause ya know. Myspace and Facebook force you to be honest. Wow... just wow.

I can't even believe the ridiculousness of it all. If someone is going to lie, they're gonna lie no matter what. People are gonna use anything at their disposal to try and get a date or whatever they can. It just doesn't matter. So it seems kind of silly to say that people in MMO's are worse than people on any dating or "social" site.

Maybe I'm biased.

It's just like attributing bad behaviour to playing video games. There's discussion going on right now because this whacko couple in texas (yeah yeah trust me I know) met online whilst playing WoW. Does that mean that WoW turns people into killers? * gasp * OH TEH NOES!!! Give me a break.

Stupid anti gaming people yapping about stuff they know nothing about just to get their time in the limelight.

4 comments:

Kallarn said...

See now i had this thing the other day. I went out to see a friend ive known from school as his band was playing in a local pub.

Was a great night good music and such but i then chatted to him on msn the day after. He kept going on about Facebook and myspace of which i am heavily cynical and think its a pretty silly concept for emo's or people who want to say they have 6000 friends because it says so on their myspace page.

Then he asked "so what do you do now then, you dont play WoW do you?" with obvious scorn. I told him no i play everquest 2 which was met with silence. I then realised that both of us were belittling the others online activities for the same reason, we'd heard bad stuff in the media about them.

Most MMO players aren't hatchet wielding pyschos who've never been kissed (except the PVP'ers, sorry but i'm not buckling on that one) and nor are most myspace type site users hideous social rejects with no social graces who cut themselves to pounding guitars.

Its just the Jack Thompson types choose a genre then go after it for all they're worth whether its movies music games or social networking sites.

p.s. myspace still sucks.

Almagill said...

Bah. I'm still keeping my myspace/bebo/facebook pages going.

Even if people do laugh at me because I've got less than 50 friends between all of them.

Anyway, what's wrong with being a hideous social rejects with no social graces? It's stood me in good stead for >40 years ;)

Kallarn said...

Alma you're scottish thats all part of your heritage.

Kiara said...

bahahahaha.

you guys are too funny :)