Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Still sick... * sigh *

But that's okay!!!

Because it's November. It's national write a novel month or some such nonsense. Basically it's a challenge to write a full 50k words in 30 days. Sound crazy? It surely is. And I'm already 6 days behind.

Chances are I won't even attempt it simply for the lack of time to devote. I mean hello!! there's EQ2 expansion launching in exactly 7 days. I don't know how anyone could expect me to miss that for some silly novel.

However, the event does conjure up the desire to finally get off my fat ass and write. So I've made a solemn vow to actually make the effort to do some "real" writing and not just the randomness I torment you fine folk with or the stuff with which I torture the Zam folks.

I know... non gaming related writing... Almost seems like blasphemy doesn't it?

Speaking of which... The writer's unions are on strike. They think they should get paid a bit more and get a bigger cut of dvd residuals as well as get kickback for the internet sales and all that. And I agree. They get shafted. Hard. Yeah they make good money... I'd be thrilled. However when you look at what other people get for what the WRITERS produce... Yeah it's complete and utter bullshit.

The problem is... If the writers are on strike? That means that Heroes is in danger. Since this is literally the only TV show that I watch and I have to go on NBC.com in order to do so... Yeah. I'm distressed. They need to clear this up in a big fat hurry.

To the corporations... Stop being greedy bastards and frelling pony up the damn money. I want my freaking Heroes.

(Sidebar: I'm listening to the radio and evidently there's a little girl with 4 arms and legs and stuff... some sort of conjoined twin thing. Spiderbaby. * nod * Spiderbaby Spiderbaby does whatever a spider can...)

At any rate. I'm a firm believer in paying people what they're worth. And in this case, the corporations need to start paying their writers. Period. Because without the writers, the TV networks are boned. They're going to be losing FAR more money than they'll be paying out if they give the raise they should. This boggles my mind. It's just so easy.

Everyone cross your fingers. Heroes is on the line here.

4 comments:

Almagill said...

Save The Scriptwriter, Save The World?

- can't remember where I read it (some ranfom bloggery) but Heroes:Origins already looks shaky because of the strike.

The big danger isn't so much that the next episodes might not get written but that, if the strike does bite, then the networks will fill the schedules with reality shows, quiz shows and old documentaries from the '80s.

Then, when the strike is over, they might decide, being 'mid run' that they might as well put the series on hiatus, the fans will drift away, it'll finally be put on at 3am, get two viewers and then be consigned to the annals of TV history as 'yet another series that should have run and run'.

Unless, of course, somebody could freeze time, get back to the point where the writers negotiations broke down...

Kallarn said...

Can we blame Coyote for that if it happens?

Almagill said...

I think 'blame Coyote' is the default position for, uhm, 99.9% of things.

Homeslice said...

I have heard they are cutting this season of Heroes short and that they think their audience wanted something a bit different so just trying to finish this season out and start a new in the next season.

At least that means there is a next season :)