Monday, October 15, 2007

i got your jam right here!

So. I had my very first jam making experience this weekend.

As it's something I've always wished I knew how to do, this is quite a milestone for me.

The one thing that really struck me (other than how totally cute the friends who were doing it are) is that it really isn't that hard.

There's always been this thing in my mind that making jam was some sort of mystical and difficult thing that would require me to dance naked at midnight, backwards, on one foot, whilst chanting monty python quotes in order to accomplish it.

Yeah. So not. What does this mean? Yeah. I'm making some jam.

Of course, this also reminds me just how lacking my domestic skills still are. There's so much stuff that I want to know how to do that I've yet to learn. I'm getting there though. Slowly but surely. I've finally mastered the whole bread making thing. Which is highly groovy. I'm still trying to learn how to make soap.

Most of my projects are slow going, mostly because I just don't have the time to squeeze everything in. Which is yet another reason I need to win the lottery.

Thank you, my lovely friends, for teaching me to make jam!

7 comments:

Kallarn said...

Do you make the soap from your own body fat or do you siphon it from friends?

Kiara said...

...

you use natural fats like cocoa butter and shea butter, ya freak.

Kallarn said...

I've seen Fight club. The movies would never lie.

Kiara said...

rofl

that's really eww, Kall.

i can't get it quite right though and right now don't have the disposable cash to experiment. so it's shelved for a while.

Almagill said...

Jam, marmalade and all manner of pickles and preserves I can do. It's all variations on a theme (Make it really, really hot but not too much, add ingredients, jar, cool, admire).

Soap? Nah, you're on your own with that one...

Candles though.. well, it's a bit like making jam really.

;)

Homeslice said...

I really thought this was going to be about some jam session with Phish or some other hippie jam band but instead I get old lady interests...

Bludwyng said...

Jam, good. Jamming, good. Grapes, blackberries, guitars, hippies... it's all good.