Friday, September 21, 2007

More stuff that makes me cranky...

I was raised by my grandparents. They were born in the 30's. So I'm a tad on the old fashioned side. I don't think that my current rant is a matter of generational gappitude though. I think it's just sheer frelling laziness.

What the hell am I talking about?

Parenting.

Or rather the lack thereof.

Examples of the things that annoy the piss out of me about parents today:

Blaming their kid's bad behaviour on music, games, tv, music.

This has to be the biggest cop out ever. Oh my kid beat up that poor person because they played a video game and it's the fault of the video game makers. Umm... Wrong, Kato. It's your damn fault for buying the violent video game. It's your fault for not teaching your kid right from wrong. It's your fault for not disciplining your kid and fostering in them the idea that they can do anything they want and blame it on something else. It's your fault for being a shitty parent.

Allowing their little girls to dress like prostitutes.

This bothers me on so many levels that I choke on the words. No way in hell should a six year old girl be wearing crop tops and leather pants. No way should a 12 year old girl be trying to look like Britney Spears or whatever other slut pop star is currently setting trends. What the fuck ever happened to letting your kid be a freaking kid?

I was hanging with my little five year old son getting mommy hugs and smooches and the little spaz tried to tongue kiss me. I was livid. I was all kinds of set to talk to the teachers at his Pre-K, the parents of the little girls he learned that shit from, not to mention the verbal lashing his father got for not putting a stop to that crap right out of the gate.

I don't care if the kid is 16 or four. It makes no difference. Cause even at 16 a child is still a goddamned child. And our duties as parents are to ensure that our children are protected and grow up able to think for themselves and protect themselves when we let them go out into the world. The only thing they learn by being allowed to emulate skanky chicks or adult behaviour long before they are able to understand the consequences of such, is to be trash.

The early and oversexualization of children is abhorrent. I just want to beat people who allow it.

Child Abuse

This is a lot broader a category than it appears on first blush. It isn't just people beating their kids or locking them in closets. It isn't just sexual molestation, which also makes me damn near homicidal. It's also neglect.

I don't just mean not feeding or taking care of a kid. It also means not taking an interest. Not teaching your kid. Yeah, that goes back to an earlier topic. Not actively guiding and teaching a child is neglect as surely as anything else.

I also classify as abuse limiting your child. Not limiting like giving them rules to follow to keep them safe, but like crippling them by enforcing on them the idea that they aren't capable of doing something. Not encouraging and supporting a child, not instilling in them a belief that they can do anything they set their mind to, or at the very least TRY. I was in Best Buy one day and about choked on my own tongue when some (insert an insult of your choosing here because I won't repeat what I called her) woman looked at her little girl and the movie she had and said: You don't want that, that's a boy movie. Her voice was dripping with disgust and you could just see the little girl wilt under the scorn. I've never wanted to punch another human being so much as I did at that instant.

Obviously, I get a little tense about children. My maternal instincts are definitely in overdrive and always have been. I see people who use their kids to hurt an ex and I just want to beat them. Kids are one of my hot buttons. The possibly psychological causes and ramifications of this are not lost on me and I can make fun of myself for it, so it's unlikely I'll go postal any time soon...

53 comments:

Kallarn said...

My pet hate - Kids with mobile phones.

Yeah yeah i can understand the safety aspect some parents use but cmon 6 year olds do not NEED a mobile phone even for safety.

Not to mention that many young kids are complete shits nowadays and dont respect anyone.

Unknown said...

generational gapptitude.. classic...I think we will have to make that a real phrase.. (ok, it may be, but first time I have ever heard it)

Oh, and minus points for invoking the name of Kato.. bad Kiara, bad.

Unknown said...

Ok, now I am done reading, but was I the only one who heard Whitney Houston's "Greatest Love of All" playing in their head?

/duck and run

Kallarn said...

Yes, yes you were.

Unknown said...

Your just mean, besides, you still have 300 oily six packed men running through your head anyway..

:P

Kallarn said...

No, 300 oily breasted women.

*peers suspiciously*

Which one of the rabble from the no-a-blog are you?

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you Kiara, as usual. Especially about the "using a child to hurt the ex" :(

I would have said something to that woman though. That may be my BIGGEST pet peeves. I have allowed my daughter to believe she can do anything. There is no for a boy/girl crap in my house! I think that's why she is such a zombie junkie. Wonder what that woman would think of that!

Kiara said...

I call all morons Kato, psi. Suck it up :p

I'm quite happy with the 300 oily six packed men currently... work is a lot brighter. and * smack * that's for the whitney houston crap.

I would have said something T, but I was dating someone at the time and he clamped his hand over my mouth and dragged me away, whilst shushing me emphatically... seems he didn't share my lack of shyness about approaching strangers.

Unknown said...

Hahahaha! You should have bit his hand and said it!

Kiara said...

That would have messed up my plans for him later that night :p

Kallarn said...

*keeps hands tucked into pockets*

Unknown said...

He had a tongue didn't he?! lol

Sorry, I will behave.

Kallarn said...

lol you are that Tainda, but Kiara seems just as bad :p

Unknown said...

Me?! I'm an angel!

Kallarn said...

I think my brains fried because its friday. That = evil.

Kallarn said...

uh huh, and when they find out who you stole the halo off you will be in trouble :p

Kiara said...

pft. i am perfectly sweet and innocent.

if i'd bitten him he would have been cranky the rest of the evening.

as it was he was pissy cause i was yelling at the movie we were watching that it wasn't the way the book went and what were you people thinking when you made this drek!

Unknown said...

Hehehe but a man will have sex no matter what mood he's in. At least most of the time.

Kallarn said...

lol what movie?

Kiara said...

The DaVinci Code.

* twitch *

Kallarn said...

Ok ill agree with you on that the film was seriously dissappointing.

Unknown said...

That was a good movie, finally saw it about a month ago lol

Kallarn said...

Had you read the book though Tainda? Because it skipped over soooo much and trivialised it all.

Kiara said...

If I'd never read the book, I'd probably have been alright.

But having read the book, the movie made me frothy.

Don't even get me started on LotR. I have to skip whole chunks of those movies in order to not go into a rabid tirade.

Barring those few scenes that make me wanna bite someone, they're really excellent.

Kallarn said...

I have to disagree on LOTR, the books annoyed me after a while. Ive read them twice now and i have to say id rather watch the films than read it again.

Have you read Children of Hurin? My god that was awful.

Kiara said...

I haven't attempted it yet.

I happen to skip rather large passeges in LotR too, Kall.

Brilliant books, but a bit on the draggy side here and there.

Unknown said...

Yeah, that's the thing, I never read the book.

NO BASHING LOTR MOVIES EITHER!! I LOVE Tolkien but the books got way too windy at times.

I kinda like movies that suck too, I'm weird like that.

Though don't even get me started on the Dune miniseries. There is only one Dune movie and that's the original.

Kallarn said...

He just keeps re-using characters full names and titles just to piss *ME* off i swear.

"Arathron son of arathorn lord of bla bla turns to gimli son of blimli upper lord of the" GET ON WITH IT!!!

Kallarn said...

I loved the dune miniseries and children of dune. Not read the books though.

Unknown said...

*twitch* You gotta read the Dune books. Herbert goes a little looney by God Emperor Dune but it's still the best literature out there. I even like his son's books.

I'm a bigger Dune fan than LoTR if that's possible.

Kiara said...

I refused to watch the dune remake and children of dune thingiemawhatsits. There's only ONE dune movie.

All this talk of books is making me wanna do a What am I reading entry... I think I'll start doing those on a fairly regular basis.

Unknown said...

I'm kinda picky about my novels.

I do have one recommendation though. If you haven't read George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.

DO IT!! DO IT NOW!!!!!

Kiara said...

I've got them. It's on my list of to be read books!!!

Kallarn said...

Im on book 9 of wheel of time at the mo have 10 and 11 and the prequel new spring waiting then Dantes inferno then 'hunting the american werewolf' then i might try song of fire and ice.

Too many books too little time.

Unknown said...

Read them now Kiara or I will thrash you soundly!

Kallarn said...

You're not giving her much motivation to read them Tainda

Unknown said...

hehehe I know

Kiara said...

i highly resemble that comment...

she's just ensured that i will NEVER read those books!

* waits for her thrashing *

Unknown said...

If you DON'T read them there will be no thrashing at all!

Kiara said...

* gasp *

I'll dig them up this weekend and get started straight away!

Unknown said...

No you won't :(

Kiara said...

yes i will :) i promise i'll dig them up this weekend.

Unknown said...

Dune the Movie was good, director's cut.. better.. I will actually say both mini-series did more justice to the books then the movie. They were a bit cheesy for the scenery, but over all I give it an 8.5.

Unknown said...

Of course the director's cut was better! Plus, I love my little tin box :p

Kallarn said...

Dont talk about boxes youll set Psibr and Lok off.

Unknown said...

Eeep! Sorry! I forgot.

Kiara said...

holy crap. almost 50 comments. and mostly from Kall and T...

ya damn spammers :D I heart you both!

Kallarn said...

We aim to please.

Unknown said...

Hehehe You know I can make a 5-year-old tell me I talk to much ROFL and when I'm bored at work....WATCH OUT!

Kallarn said...

Is anyone NOT bored at work?

I so need to win the lottery and live the lifestyle of a jetsetter playboy or some such.

Unknown said...

Yeah, but my job I literally have NO work to do at all. Trying to find a new one so the day will go by faster than a snail smoking weed.

I will give you that million if I win!

Almagill said...

How fast would a snail smoking weed think it was going?

(I was going to comment on todays piece, but the conversation seems to have drifted a little?)

Unknown said...

It thinks it's going about 80 mph but in reality it's around 2 inches per hour.