Monday, October 8, 2007

Barbara had a point...

People... People who need people....

Okay, that's enough of that. I'll not be singing in the blog. Something for which I'm sure you're all profoundly grateful.

Life being what it is, last week was a ridiculously non productive week work or writing wise. (And while that entire sentence reads like poo, it makes sense in my head and we're going with it.) Thus, the all of one entry.

Today is a brand new week, though, so here we go.

I've long held the firm belief that there is one thing that makes or breaks an MMO. The people who play. A lot of people won't agree with me. They'll site gameplay, or fun factor, or whatever other hot buzz word is being bandied about that week.

Whilst all these things are an important factor in the success of a game, I still hold that the community devoted to the game is the most important variable.

Look at EQ2, my game of choice. I think it's the best game on the market and has been since it's launch. I will likely never be swayed from this opinion either. I can admit that the launch was a little rough and that the game needed some serious polish.

However, even as far from the yummy perfectiony goodness that it is today, nothing could have drawn me away from EQ2. The reason for that is simple. The community.

I got involved in the EQ2 community in April of 2004. The official forums hadn't been up for very long at that point and the community was in its infancy. Moorgard was still the only one running the show and we all spent a good deal of time chit chatting and speculating over every tiny tidbit SOE slipped us.

The months leading up to beta and then to launch gelled the forum community into a rather lovely and fun place to make friends and get game information. We figured out what did and didn't work, both in the game and on the forums.

I've made some very good friends from EQ2. But I didn't meet them in game. I met them there, on the forums where the community congregated during work hours when those of us not lucky enough to be able to play from work (yes, there are people who can do that... lucky bastards) would hang out and get our fixes.

Of the games I've played and the communities of which I've been a part, EQ2 has one of the tightest knit and mature bunch of game addicts I've come across. (By now I think I've used the word community a dozen times or so.... I suck.) This is what's kept me around, even through the burn out and the lure of other games.

Nothing else has had the feel that EQ2 holds and a large part of that is the people. For the most part, because to be honest every game has asshats, the people of EQ2 are warm and welcoming. They help newbies get started in the world and share amongst themselves.

I'm not saying that other games don't have solid communities. They do. No MMO out there can make it on gameplay alone. Man is a social animal and we congregate in groups. The trick is finding the group that fits all your kinks and quirks and makes you feel at home.

* brushes off her little "Home, Sweet Home" sign and hangs it up on her door in Neriak *

This is mine and you're all more than welcome to stop in anytime for the grand tour.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree yet again.

Unless you're only after the big loot or the highest achievements it's all about the people.

I have tried pretty much every "big" MMO out there. The ones I stayed with I either had friends go with me or I made friends quickly. If I didn't have anyone to talk to it didn't last long.

Kallarn said...

SWG = it lived and died on the community.

EQ2's is pretty good if you make the effort but like anything you just need to meet he right person or group to make the game work for ya.

Almagill said...

Everyone wants different things at different times from their games.

But a good solid community can make the difference between feeling like you're sitting down for an hour or two "playing a game" or going to another place and hanging out with really cool folk and doing fun stuff..

The community carried Vanguard through some flaky times and you just have to look at, ooh, what was that one that was going to be THE game a couple of years back, not DAOC, the other 'dark' something... it seemed to be doing okay in beta despite crummy graphics etc. until it's community turned against it and then it just went pffft.

(Or if not against it then away from it)

Unknown said...

I know Horizons community finally threw a tantrum and it's about to die, which is sad. That game has given me hours of amusement. Not because I play it, just making fun of it is fun. The ONLY game I played for an hour and said..ummm...no.

Homeslice said...

I was there for the beginnings of EQ2 and most of the friends I made in beta were there at launch. Folks knew me as a Halfling until my crossrace change to Gnome. Gnomes being a superior race and all. (Really I just seem to have a thing for short races as I go for them in other games, and ale drinking Dwarves are nice also.)

If I could stay on the EQ2 forums and not have to subscribe I would still be a big part of that community .

I am not sure what my deal is at the moment but I really just can't stick with anything. Part of it is I need a better comp, if I could play EQ2 at higher settings I would probably keep sticking around more just because of the people.

I don't even have a point to make here that I am aware just showing my experience with communities and EQ2 in general. I think the big thing about me not sticking to WoW so much is the community sucks. Some cool folks to be found but the majority bug me.

DragonRealms has had the best overall community to it that I have found but then again that is a MUD and only like 2000 people play it so chances are better to have cool folks. I would actually pay to play it, I really came close last month, if I could enjoy combat. You needed to be an empath to make any money without combat as far as I can tell.

I just started back in CoH and may stick it out a bit. It is just something simple and fun and I always liked it but had troubles wanting to pay a monthly fee on it. I am on the unofficial RP server and last night, my first night on, I came across at least 4 Super Groups(guilds) that were adult oriented. I am not talking age here but I am sure that is a requirement but ones that advertised intense XXX RP. That just really throws me off and I know they are to be found in any game but a chunk like that off the bat and in a super hero game at that. I guess spandex is easy to get off...

Unknown said...

Bow chica bow wow!

My computer runs EQ2 like crap and that's why I'm not playing pretty much. I need to delete my LoTRO account and then I won't have any MMOs to pay for at all, that hasn't happened in years!